Thursday, July 2, 2009

Regarding The Fray's Epic Suckitude.

Lemme preface this by saying that my opinion on music, movies, TV shows, etc, is even more worthless than my opinion on baseball, basketball, football, and semi-pro curling. After all: we're talking about a guy who thinks Pearl Jam's No Code is a terrifically underrated album, who watches Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network every Saturday morning, who owns all three Jurassic Park movies and insists upon watching them (consecutively, of course) at least once a month, who went through an Incubus phase (fine: I still think Incubus is OK), who has no idea what a "Spencer Pratt" is, and who once walked down to Summerfest from Marquette's campus to see Lit.

Which is all a long way of saying: take everything here with a grain of salt.

That said: I am firmly of the opinion that The Fray is one of the most epically, awe-inspiringly shitty bands in recent memory -- and not just because I imagine the members of The Fray write their songs by saying, "OK, what type of song would work best for the climactic moment in How I Met Your Mother this week?", and not just because of that ridiculous MTV commercial (from a few years back) where one of the dudes in The Fray was talking about the experience with the band's fans and said something hideous like: "This experience, this is The Fray," and not just because the name of the band allows rags like the Journal-Sentinel to write punny headlines like this: "The Fray is a tight-knit group."

While all of those are contributing factors, my dislike for this band was cemented by an answer given by the band's drummer, Douchelicker McFuckhole, in response to this question:

Q. Greatest drummer who ever lived?

A. Ringo Starr.

Now, if the question was "luckiest drummer who ever lived," I would heartily agree. (And, in the interests of full disclosure, I did once make Mrs. Q find me a copy of Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy" after hearing the tune on Conan O'Brien's show.) But to say that the dude who wrote fucking "Octopus's Garden" is the best drummer who ever lived? Your tongue better have been planted firmly in your cheek on that one, drummer from The Fray.

4 comments:

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

So much to comment on here.

Call me next time you watch the Jurassic Park movies. I love me some Jurassic Park.

Lit was a way better show than any Sum 41 show. Why did I watch them 3 times?

And on to Ringo... Man, that better have been a joke. Ringo is not that good of a drummer. I remember seeing him at Summerfest one year on the Miller Oasis stage. I just sat there thinking, "This guy was in the Beatles?" I think I could play drums better than he can. Now that statement is just like saying, "I bet Devil's Threesome is faster than JJ Hardy." It obviously isn't true, but there is no way he is the best drummer who ever lived. Like you said, he is just lucky. Either that or Douchelicker has never heard of the drummer from Rush, Neil Peart. Or Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

Call me when Ringo plays something not in 4/4 time.

Mr. Sparkle said...

Mrs. Rubie told me you cum easy. They've got a salve for that.

On another note, how can you watch all 3 Jurassic Park movies? That would make me want to commit seppuku.

Rubie Q said...

Because I love dinosaurs, that's why.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

Best comment ever. I love Dinosaurs too.