Thursday, July 2, 2009

Album Reviews: Phoenix, Dinosaur Jr.

Phoenix Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: I really like this album and gave D3s a copy when I was up for tailgate 2k9.

Phoenix is a French (yeah, I hate France too) alternative rock band that originated from the same town as Daft Punk. Guitarist Laurent Brancowitz was previously in short-lived band called Darlin' with Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (that's a mouthful). After the split in 1993, Laurent joined Phoenix and his former mates went on to become very successful as Daft Punk (cue LCD Soundsystem). Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is the bands first album to garner worldwide critical acclaim and has resulted in appearances on SNL and Letterman.

As I put it to D3s, the band is a touch poppy but they mix in some sounds that I've never heard together before and it makes for some good listening. I'd say, it's like Interpol where after a second listen you notice there is a lot more going on in the background than you initially heard. It is one of those rare albums that I can put on and listen to straight through. Early tracks to get radio play include "1901" and "Lisztomania". I highly recommend this album.



Dinosaur Jr Farm: I have only given this album one listen so far and wow!

We all know Dinosaur Jr. from the late 80's and 90's, then they fell off the face of earth. I downloaded thier classic "Feel the Pain" a few months ago which has some awesome guitar work and received very positive feedback from people when it popped up on my ipod playlist. It evoked memories of times long ago for some and shock from others that they had never heard such a great song before. As such, I was very excited to give Farm a listen.

For me, Farm brought back everything I remember from the alternative music heyday: loud guitars, great drumming, and haunting vocals. This album is alternative in its purest of forms... no added sound... just a band rocking out. I believe "I want you to know" is the only track that I have heard receive radio play but I also enjoyed "Pieces" and "Over it".

1 comment:

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

Phoenix - Not bad. It is definitely an interesting combination of sounds. Very Euro in the style as well.

Dinosaur Jr. - Wow. I almost forgot about these guys. This song is very alternative as you put it. Not a lot of emphasis on production with the vocals. That is a mark of the way things were in those days. Now I really want to check out the old stuff.

Great post, FPMKE. This is exactly what this site is for... and for bitching about crappy music and movies.